I was in need of a bedside table and found this one that someone was throwing out. A few coats of paint was all that was needed to make someone’s trash into great addition to my bedroom.
You will need:
- A piece of furniture you want to refinish
- Sand paper (a palm sander will save you so much time!)
- A paint brush
- Paint (latex or eggshell preferably)
- Gold spray paint
- Marble contact paper
- So first you want to remove the hardware and sand down all the surfaces of your furniture. You can use 120-150 grit sandpaper. This will help the primer and paint adhere to the surface.
- Wipe down all the surfaces. Make sure you get in to all the nooks and crannies to get all of the dust that came off during sanding.
- Now using even strokes, you want to paint all of the surfaces with the primer. Now you want to let the primer fully dry. I recommend leaving it over night.
- When your primer is dry, you want to put on a few layers of your paint. Make sure you let it dry completely between coats.
- You may want to paint the hardware or buy new ones. Or you can also paint the existing ones to match the new look.
- I wanted some gold accents on my table so I tape up the areas that I didn’t want gold. Make sure you press your tape down so that you will get a nice clean edge.
- When spray painting, do multiple even thin layers. If you spray on a layer that is too thick, it can start to drip.
8. Wait for the spray paint to dry completely before removing the paint.
9. Adding contact paper inside the drawers or on top can also add a nice touch. I used grey marble by d-c-fix to add a bit of interest to the top of my table. You want to cut out a piece that is the exact dimensions of the area you want to cover and then start by slowing sticking down one edge. Slowly smooth it out as you stick the rest on.
10. That’s it! I hope that was helpful.