This week’s post is courtesy of Michelle. After seeing some of her projects on instagram, I was very excited when she agreed to do a tutorial on how to reupholster a bench. I admire her simple, and whimsical style and love her taste in fabrics. Follow along as she shows us how to turn an old foot stool in to an adorable children’s bench.
What made you start refinishing furniture?
How did you learn?
The project: DIY Old, second-hand footstool converted into a sweet little children’s bench!
- Staple Lifter (Lee Valley)
- Staple Gun (I use a Paslode Pneumatic staple gun hooked up to a small air compressor, but a simple, manual staple gun will work just as well!)
- 1.5″ thick foam (available from some fabric/craft/flooring stores)
- Polyester Batting, in sheet form (available at fabric stores)
- Sand Paper
- Paint (for simple colours I use spray paint, for more variety, simple latex paint in matte finish with a durable, clear top coat)
How cute is the finished product!? Michelle made it look so simple that I’m now hunting through the classifieds to find an old storage bench to reupholster myself! Good luck with your own projects and let me know how they turn out!